Ambrose Bierce's thoughts on the business of American Bidness:
CORPORATION. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility.
ECONOMY, n. Purchasing the barrel of whiskey that you do not need for the price of the cow that you cannot afford.
FINANCE, n. The art or science of managing revenues and resources for the best advantage of the manager. The pronunciation of this word with the i long and the accent on the first syllable is one of America's most precious discoveries and possessions.
INSURANCE: An ingenious modern game of chance in which the player is permitted to enjoy the comfortable conviction that he is beating the man who keeps the table.
OPTIMISM: The doctrine or belief that everything is beautiful, including what is ugly.
RABBLE, n. In a republic, those who exercise a supreme authority tempered by fraudulent elections.
REVOLUTION: An abrupt change in the form of misgovernment.
- ► 2011 (249)
- ► 2010 (266)
- ► 2009 (184)
- Alex Cockburn on the fall of Neo-liberalism Alex ...
- Blame Bill Clinton One Mr. Meritocrat on the subp...
- Diogenes-Day Ambrose Bierce's thoughts on the bus...
- Hitchens on a "boring contest": "Interviewed by ...
- The Valor-code (McCain's puffed-up POW experience)...
- Palin: Creationist? "... The pure spirit is the p...
- ▼ September (6)
- ► 2007 (154)
- ► 2006 (69)
- ► 2005 (57)
- ► 2004 (28)