Carnap (& Hume) for Cali Consumers
From "Philosophy and Logical Syntax":
""The opinion that metaphysical propositions have no sense because they do not concern any facts, has already been expressed by Hume. He writes in the last chapter of his Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding (published in the year 1748) as follows: "It seems to me, that the only objects of the abstract sciences or of demonstration, are quantity and number ...All other enquiries of men regard only matter of fact and existence; and these are evidently incapable of demonstration ...When we run over libraries, persuaded of these principles, what havoc must we make? If we take in our hand any volume, of divinity or school metaphysics, for instance; let us ask, Does it contain any abstract reasoning concerning quantity or number? No. Does it contain any experimental reasoning concerning matter of fact and existence? No. Commit it then to the flames: for it can contain nothing but sophistry and illusion." We agree with this view of Hume, which says - translated into our terminology - that only the propositions of mathematics and empirical science have sense, and that all other propositions are without sense.""
SO much for fundies, islamofascists---or moralist-leftists and apparatchiks common to the Kremlin.com's (aka DailyKos , DU, etc.)......................
Verstehen Sie Das?
- ► 2011 (249)
- ► 2010 (266)
- ► 2009 (184)
- ► 2008 (146)
- No to Grunt Rights A few confused members of the ...
- Thumbs down, man
- Logo for Ron Paul campaign (and supporters)
- U.S. Constitution: First Amendment Congress shal...
- Carnap (& Hume) for Cali Consumers From "Philosop...
- Bobby Rat Altar boy who ushered in the teary-...
- Top 10 uses for the corpse of Jerry Falwell 10. ...
- Cure for theocrats http://en.wikipedia.org/wik...
- Grotesque Disregard (How Not to Write, continued) ...
- ▼ May (9)
- ► 2006 (69)
- ► 2005 (57)
- ► 2004 (28)