Thursday, March 27, 2008
""""Religious belief of all kinds shares the same intellectual respectability, evidential base, and rationality as belief in the existence of fairies.
This remark outrages the sensibilities of those who have deep religious convictions and attachments, and they regard it as insulting. But the truth is that everyone takes this attitude about all but one (or a very few) of the gods that have ever been claimed to exist.
No reasonably orthodox Christian believes in Aphrodite or the rest of the Olympian deities, or in Ganesh the Elephant God or the rest of the Hindu pantheon, or in the Japanese emperor, and so endlessly on - and officially (as a matter of Christian orthodoxy) he or she must say that anyone who sincerely believes in such deities is deluded and blasphemously in pursuit of "false gods".
The atheist adds just one more deity to the list of those not believed in; namely, the one remaining on the Christian's or Jew's or Muslim's list."""""""
Dr. Grayling may be a bit too much of the British skeptic for most Americuns, but we here at Contigencies hold him to be a worthy heir to the tradition of Bertrand Russell and AJ Ayers (who supervised Grayling at Oxford)--if not CONDORCET himself. Additionally, he possesses the "logic chops" (somewhat lacking in, say, Doc Dawkins) to take on fundamentalists, be they rightist xtians, or muslims, or marxist zealots. And for those who care, his writing on Kant's skepticism smokes about any American philo-phony you can name (and most of the oxbridge theo-filosophes as well).
Posted by J at 10:16 AM
- ► 2011 (249)
- ► 2010 (266)
- ► 2009 (184)
- A.C. Grayling """"Religious belief of all kinds...
- Babushka gang infiltrating tennis McEnroe knows t...
- Ah ye olde RepublicanGangstasForObama.com.
- Give War a Chance Christopher Hitchens reflects ...
- Buch-Brennen Bertrand Russell once made an inter...
- Righteously Indignant Whackjobs The NSA tracki...
- BellumOmniumContraOmnes.com A fairly well-known x...
- Stop the REAL ID The E.F.F.site features some im...
- Hacker vs Quine Oxford gent jacks the corpse of ...
- Obama Craze Matt Gonzalez, one of Counterpunch's ...
- Futurity "Future, n. That period of time in whic...
- ▼ March (11)
- ► 2007 (154)
- ► 2006 (69)
- ► 2005 (57)
- ► 2004 (28)