Quite some time before Venn, Euler charted out Aristotle's syllogistic via diagrams (as did Leibniz). Euler diagrams capture hierarchy a bit better than Venn, tho' Venn diagrams can represent certain relations that Euler's charts can't. (Neither can capture predicate logic, however, except with a lot of work.
Euler's charts with basic set relationships: All A's are B's; all C's are A's; thus All C's are B's. Hypothetical syllogism in old logic (say, all Insects are Animals; all Cockaroaches are Insects; all Cockaroaches are Animals. QED)
Friday, November 30, 2007
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
- ► 2011 (249)
- ► 2010 (266)
- ► 2009 (184)
- ► 2008 (146)
- Euler.com Quite some time before Venn, Euler chart...
- Slang, n."The grunt of the human hog (Pignoramus i...
- (to Calibans everywhere) "....et vobis qui tribul...
- The Politics of PathosReverend Devilstower of Dail...
- Celebrate this Holiday with .............Lee Harv...
- Harry Reid, Justice O' the Peace Senate leader Rei...
- der Trieb, zu strafen(the will to punish)"Also abe...
- Taxing the "God" businessJames Madison wanted to t...
- La Mort de MailerContingencies declares a few nano...
- Be a hip Nasa nazi and win friends.McNasa the Fei...
- .........things you aren't/Jarrettheight="355">Tas...
- Lunes con Maestro BierceBrain, n. An apparatus wi...
- "Matter endowed with thought"Jefferson, letter to ...
- A little Learning is a dang'rous Thing; Drink deep...
- ▼ November (14)
- ► 2006 (69)
- ► 2005 (57)
- ► 2004 (28)
QED??? Not until you've put it through a real Reductio ad Absurdum:
All A's are B's.
All C's are A's
thus, All C's are B's.
In propositional logic the categorical statements (Aristotle's "A") are done with conditionals (any dissenters??)
A -> B
C -> A
thus C -> B
now, RAA (watch closely KrustyRon):
1. A -> B
2. C -> A
3. thus C -> B
negate conclusion ~(C->B)
rules for denied conditionals
anyone?? something like this ~(~C v B), thus C & ~B (Demorgans, right).
C & ~B
(tree test means that both (or all) statements of conjunctions be subject to test for contradiction, right, Krusty):
5. ~A v B
6. ~C X (from 4) v A X (from 5)
This forum rocks. Nice to be here.
Post a Comment